We’ve come a long way at Digitary. In the early 2000’s, when we started our mission to provide secure online credentials, most HE institutions we spoke with at the time felt the concept needed to be proven.
Well, consider it proven. Ten years after our world-first implementation of digitally signed Degree Certificates, eTranscripts and European Diploma Supplements at the University of Limerick, almost a million secure online records have been issued by institutions in five countries. Even more impressive are the numbers of those who use Digitary for verification purposes:
- 76% of UK Universities have used Digitary to verify qualifications online, including all of the UK’s top 10, according to Times Higher Education rankings for 2014/15.
- Employers, government bodies, and university admissions departments on all five continents have verified Digitary credentials.
- All of the world’s top 10 institutions have verified through Digitary (rankings defined by Times Higher Education 2014/15)
This is very encouraging, not only for the Digitary team, for the education sector as a whole. What is even more encouraging is the general upward trend in adoption of educational technologies and digital credentialing worldwide – from ePortfolios to eTranscripts to MOOCs to OpenBadges. These are all very positive developments that help deliver education, empower learners and facilitate international mobility.
Groningen Declaration Network
One of the most important developments in recent years has been the Groningen Declaration Network (www.groningendeclaration.net). The network, which held its inaugural meeting in 2012, was initially comprised of many members of the Rome Student Systems and Standards Group (RS3G), which Digitary co-founded in 2007. The network brings together key international players with an interest in making student data portable and secure. Now in 2015, the network continues to expand with new signatories every year, and exciting technology pilots between participants. It is a testament to this hard work that Herman deLeeuw, Founder and Secretary of the network, received the 2015 EAIE President’s award. Well done Herman!
Having signed up to the Groningen Declaration in 2012, we wanted to play a real part. We quickly realised that our “classic” Digitary platform needed to do more than just issue and verify records. Institutions also need to receive records and exchange them with partner institutions, through ERASMUS for example. So, we decided to adjust our product roadmap accordingly, and since then we’ve developed an entirely new platform based on the concept of “Certified Online Records Exchange”, which we call “Digitary CORE”.
Aside from making it quicker and easier for institutions to issue credentials digitally to students and graduates, Digitary CORE has the added dimension of connectivity, which is key to facilitating student mobility. With Digitary CORE:
- Individuals can now consolidate their achievements from multiple institutions in the one online place.
- When applying for jobs or further study, applicants can seamlessly attach their Digitary-powered credentials to online application forms for graduate admission. This is being rolled out at up to 400 U.S. Universities through our partners at CollegeNET, Inc.
- Universities can receive verified qualifications from applicants from China, with 100% coverage of Chinese schools and colleges through our partnership with the Chinese Ministry of Education.
- From 2016, we will offer verified digital qualifications to institutions with 100% global coverage.
- Further work is also planned with our European colleagues as part of the EU-funded Erasmus+ programme.
Most importantly, we’ve managed to deliver all of this without taking the simple approach of centralising massive amounts of data. Rather, institutions store their certified data records wherever they want – in their preferred data centre or on Digitary’s encrypted cloud servers. We designed Digitary CORE this way because data protection and security are so important to our customers and to us.
The Future is Bright
We’re very excited and privileged to be a part of a fast-growing global credentials ecosystem. We’re looking forward to migrating our existing customers across to Digitary CORE and to welcoming many new customers from around the world.
There’s so much for us to talk about at Digitary, so stay tuned on our website for regular blog updates from the team as we share more about what we’re doing.
If you’d like to get in touch, please don’t hesitate to contact us.